Tuesday, 15 April 2014

New and Views - what do you think?

To broaden our views of the world and to develop our critical thinking skills, each day we spend 15 minutes examining and responding to the world around us. 
There is always something interesting to discuss.
Here is today's most interesting news (as voted by the class)
Zoo kills animals
Monday 14th April

In Denmark last month the zoo had a young healthy baby giraffe, it was killed with a bolt gun and fed to the zoo lions in front of an audience. The reason for this is the baby giraffe, Marius didn't fit in with the zoos breeding programme and couldn’t be re-homed.
Soon after the zoo killed four lions - two adults and two cubs, this was to make room for a new male. The reason is the male would have killed the cubs anyway and the adults would attack and they couldn’t be re-homed.

Outrage has spread across the globe, especially animal lovers.

By Max      


20 comments:

  1. Max, what a fabulous news article you have selected. You really had the class hooked in, they all had lots to say which is great as it shows you triggered their thinking.
    I am looking forward to hearing their viewpoints.
    Well done Max, great choice. Mrs Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hamish10:51

    I think its outrageous that this Zoo is killing these poor helpless little animals despite the fact that many other zoos offered to home the animals. What makes it worse is that once they had killed the baby giraffe they feed it to the lions!! Although I'm not much of a animal lover I still think this is uncalled for and not the right thing to do! Great writing Max!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hamish10:53

    I think this is very wrong because other zoos offered to have Marius. I love giraffes and i don't like the thought of them being fed to other animals

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aston10:57

    I think its sad the they killed the giraffe just because it not in the breeding programme and they cant find it a home I think that the zoo should change the breeding programme so the pore little giraffe could be a live today.

    ---------------Good Job Max

    -Aston

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that the lions was ok to kill and I understand that there was no place to have them but the baby giraffe that was wanted in another
    zoo, that's cruel and mean, I really don't know what the zoo was thinking and they
    feed Marius to lions in front of people that zoo should be shut down. Max

    ReplyDelete
  6. caleb10:59

    I think what they did was really bad and they should of thort befor hand and not killed the poor little guy good work MAX on hooking us in to this news

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keilani11:02

    I think that this zoo did the wrong thing, they should have just give the poor animals to a different zoo that wanted them, this is just not OK.You did a great job on re-writing it and putting it in your own words,well done Max!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sophie11:06

    If you ask me I think why? Why would you take such an innocent creature and lie about it saying "we couldn't re-home it." so instead you kill it! I just can't believe that someone could be so cruel. Not only that they also killed lions I mean whats up with that, yeah I know that owning a zoo is tough but you do what is right not only for the zoo but for the animals too! So that's what I think.
    Well done max!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katrina11:07

    I think it was wrong of them to do it when they could have sold him in instead of shooting him they could have put him to sleep it would be kinder and less painful
    and they fed him to the lions in front of people that is sick
    and killing 4 lions is even worse and just to get another male i think Denmark zoo
    should be shut down and fined
    it is wrong!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Katrina11:09

    great writing max you really had everyone hooked in good for you

    ReplyDelete
  11. nathan11:09

    I think its wrong to feed a giraffe to the lions just because it doesn't fit in with the breeding programe. And i think feeding 2 lions and 2 cubs to a male lion is not good.And thank you max for sharing this sad news with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. charlotte11:40

    i think its wrong because they can give the animals away not killing them and people was watching. its sad

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ethan11:40

    I think it is outrageous killing animals in zoos for silly reasons those people should be arrested for not thinking of the idea of sending the animals to other zoos where they can be treated like zoo animals.
    nice job max.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Toby15:29

    I think it is all right because the Graff died peacefully. And the lions either got shot or eat alive. I think the zoo did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous08:35

    I think it's terrible how the zoo killed off the animals, because I believe if an animal is going to be killed then let it die in the way of nature. Grabbing a shotgun and killing a giraffe is not natural even if it is not a good candidate for the zoo breeding system this is terrible and I do not approve of this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous08:41

    I think its terrible because if your going to kill an animal then let it die in the natural way shooting an animal in a zoo is not humane and is certainly not natural this is a breach of everything a zoo is put in place for to help animals and home them not shoot them because of a breeding system. and the same with the lions let them go out in the way of nature. in conclusion I believe this zoo should be shut down or punished accordingly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Arohaina13:40

    I think it is wrong that the zoo keepers killed one Giraffe and four Lions. I don't believe that they called and asked other zoo's to see if they wanted the giraffe or the lions. I think that the zoo should get fine for killing five loving creatures (animals).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jessica08:55

    I think that they should have found a home for them or at least tried because someone wold have wonted them to have in there Zoo!
    Feeding the giraffe to the tigers is very mean especially in front of the audients.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous09:12

    I think its a sad topic max, they should of at leased tried to find him a home, well good job Max.



    ReplyDelete
  20. April10:57

    I think that is outrageous, a pour giraffe got killed all because it can't breed with the other giraffes that is a silly thing to do, they could of tried to give it a home, but good topic and well done Max you've convinced a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete