Wednesday, 4 June 2014

TALL POPPIES CROSS COUNTRY

What a stunning bunch!
What a great day!
Well done to those who travelled to Whakamarama School for the
Tall Poppies Cross Country - 
you went, you ran, you conquered!

Congratulations to you all.
A special 'Well Done' to Hannah who came second in the Year 7 Girls Race.


Whakamarama Writing...

My feet picked their way up the last hill of the Whakamarama Cross Country course. I felt adrenalin kick in as I scrambled down the last hill. I ran through the gate into the field. The crowd cheered me on and cameras flickered in my face. I was on the home straight. I bolted up the little bank and ran through the trees. I sprinted to the finish line - somewhere in my subconscious I could hear cheering. The lady took my hand and wrote a two. I walked through to the desk. I could hardly answer the questions that were being thrown at me - my eyes just wanted to close. "Hannah Rose, from Tauriko," I said. I felt sick; all I wanted was cold water. I collapsed on the blue tarpaulin and it felt so good to be lying down. I drank and drank the refreshing water.
by Hannah


The bright light forced my eyes to look down. Loud puffing noses were made behind me. A towering hill awaited.
I started to climb the hill. I saw the point at the top of some tall pine trees. Finally I made it to the top.
It was only the start of the race but my face had already turned red.   
I staggered along the flat part of the hill. Then the track went on to another never-ending hill, which led into a dark shady forest.
My shoes made me slip a bit, I had to crawl up the prickly grass, before jogging along in the shady forest, dodging roots on my way. Then ladies pointed the way to go. I knew then it was the time to take it easy.   
By Jessica


      




No comments:

Post a Comment