Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Trip to the Tauranga Art Gallery


Our recent class trip to the Tauranga Art Gallery was inspiring for each and every one of us. 
The Mauao exhibition showing artworks over periods of time depicting our famous icon Mauao was a visual feast.

Key ideas:
Representational art - what the artist sees, can clearly see what the painting is of, eg a landscape.

Abstract art - means you have to look a little but closer to see what the painting is of. Different colours, different textures.

Contemporary - combination of old techniques with modern techniques eg with the use of technology.

We also looked into the works of Wayne Youle. 

  Installation 
Tauranga Art Gallery 2013

After much discussion around the meaning behind the symbolic art pieces, we then created our own artwork using symbols.


Think about the visit to the Art Gallery -
* what was new learning for you?
* what did you think about Wayne Youle's art pieces?
* what piece of art stood out for you - why?



  







14 comments:

  1. Natalie :)15:47

    I learnt- That Mauao has never been the same it has changed over the past years. The big apartments weren't there it was just little beach side batches.

    Wayne Youle your art pieces are outstanding. You always have a meaning to your paintings and you express your feelings then paints them !

    My favourite piece of art is : The BIG words, they have a meaning and some of them are very funny, I like the MATTER ( grey matter )because it is made out of bones awesome idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby11:06

    I liked the art because it had so many relations. But was a bit disappointed because any one could of done it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. chloe11:07

    wayne youle has awesome art pieces i liked the paintings with the big words because it is creative how he used colours to make the meaning of the words

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rome11:09

    The piece of art that stood out for me was the black and white lightning bolts.I thought they were simple yet sophisticated I like Wayne Youles artistic vision and hope to see some of his other work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Georjia .__.11:11

    I thought Wayne Youle's art was awesome!
    I loved how the words were bold and there were sharp lines instead of blending the colours together.
    I also liked the lightning bolts (Surely not twice).
    I leant that Mauao has changed so much throughout the years.
    I liked the exhibit about painting Mauao, the ones I liked the most were the abstract ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keilani11:11

    I loved Wayne Youle art work it is so awesome my favourite piece of his art is the big and word i liked all of them like LIGHT (green light).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Latasha11:12

    I learnt- you draw what you see not what you think you see.

    Wayne Youle is a fantastic artist he makes me feel inspired by his art work and pushes me to do my best in my art work.

    My favorite peace of writing is the big word because the word have a meaning(put the colour of the word in front of the word)like black widow.

    Amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Myah :D11:13

    I learnt that Absract art can say a lot about something, you just have to imagine.
    I loved Wayne Youle's art because even though there weren't a lot of things on the canvas, it "spoke" about something in lots of different ways.
    My favourite piece of art were the big words. One of them was the word "Lie" and it was painted white which means it was "White Lie".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashlee Toma11:15

    I found Wayne Youle's artwork amazing once I heard the stories behind each piece of artwork. I expeicially enjoy how there is more to the page then you can see, it may look like a whole lot of words but it actually means something. I also had a fun time looking at the moving pictures, it was so cool how it would be an ordinary picture and then they shined a picture on the screen it would make the picture come alive. I enjoyed creating art work of our own, using Wayne Youle's ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brooke C11:15

    I think Wayne Youle has a unique style but it is very effective and has lots of meaning. My favourite piece was the words because it was very colourful and I found it very creative how the meaning was hidden.
    My new learning was how to blend colours and textures and how simple can be very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rachael Ace11:15

    I loved Wayne Youle's inspiring artwork, I loved how he painted the walls and hid a message in the words on the wall and I liked how he put the "rain" artwork on the wall and made a mistake so people can point it out.

    I also loved the pictures of the mount and noticed that only a couple of pictures were the same.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brooke J11:20

    I loved Wayne Youle's art work. I Found is art work quite interesting and I liked the bright colours in his artwork.
    The new learning for me was how the mount really never stayed the same and that you make paint come to life when you shine a projector on top of it.
    The Shadow art stood out for me because he made it for the Christchurch Earth quake and each piece of something hanging on the wall represented some thing from that disaster.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kiani11:22

    I learnt about how much our mount has changed over the past 20-50 years.

    I liked wayne Youles way of showing art; like the big wall had letters on it, you have to read and think very closly
    His painting 'surly not twice' had alot of lightning bolts, what do you think it means?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anahera11:34

    The walls were really great. I like the lightning. the mountain pictures were beautiful.

    ReplyDelete